Tuesday 19 July 2011

The Quest Continues


Silver Y

Hebrew Character?

Heart and Dart (left) and Dun-bar (right)

Poplar Grey

The quest to get to know all the natural history at Beddington continues and I've had a few new ticks recently including (in addition to Black Kite) Wild Carrot and Roesel's Bush Cricket. I'm making some progress with the moths too and here are my latest attempts at identifying them (please correct me if the above are wrong). Here's my moth list so far after a few weeks at it:

Macros
Poplar Grey, Webb's Wainscot, Hebrew Character, Buff Arches, Least Carpet, Small Scallop, Riband Wave, Yellow Shell, Common Pug, Brimstone Moth, Swallow-tailed Moth, Common Footman, Cinnabar, Bright-line Brown-eye, Heart and Dart, Flame Shoulder, Clay, Smoky Wainscot, Common Wainscot, Knot Grass, Copper Underwing, Straw Underwing, Dun-bar, Common Rustic, Silver Y, Mother Shipton, The Miller, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Common Rustic and Dark Arches.

Micros
Small Magpie, Mother of Pearl, Brown China-mark, Adela reaumurella, White Plume, Bee Moth, Small Purple and Gold, Grass-veneer sp.

3 comments:

J Everitt said...

Hi Peter,

Do you have any other pictures of the Poplar Grey as I do not think it is this species and would like a look at any other pictures you have of it.

Best wishes
Jacob Everitt
j.j.everitt@hotmail.co.uk

Peter Alfrey said...

Hi Jacob,
thats the best photo of it- what do you think it might be? I thought Knot Grass at first but wasn't sure?

Peter Alfrey said...

I'm getting votes for Sycamore or Knot Grass on the Poplar Grey and I've also buggered up the Hebrew Character which is a Double Square-spot.